Ames and Iowa State University look forward to hosting us for the Odyssey of the Mind 2018 World Finals! Read the following for helpful information for getting your team and your props to campus. The World Finals FAQ also has answers to many questions about the campus.
ISU was the nation’s first land grant college and has since established itself as a world leader in such diverse disciplines as engineering, veterinary medicine, and agriculture. With over 36,000 students from more than 115 different nations, Iowa State offers cultural diversity and brings distinct international flavor to the Midwest..
| Campus Map | Travel Info and Directions To Registration | Parking and Campus Shuttle l
Located in the heart of the Midwest and Iowa, Ames is the source for tradition, discovery, diversity and of course, Iowa State University and the Cyclones. Located just 40 minutes south of Ames, the Des Moines International Airport is served by several commercial airlines. Ames offers downtown boutiques, 33 woodland parks and 55 miles of bike and pedestrian trails.
| Ames Convention & Visitors Bureau |
Ames is served by two major airports in Iowa. Des Moines International Airport (DSM), Des Moines, IA has more than 100 arrivals and departures daily, serving over two million passengers annually. Eastern Iowa Airport (CID), Cedar Rapids, IA, serving over one million passengers annually. Direct flights to/from major U.S. Cities are offered by the following airlines: Allegiant Air American Airlines, Delta Frontier, Southwest (DSM only) United Airlines.
- Shuttle service is available for Odyssey teams from both the Des Moines, IA (DSM) and the Eastern Iowa Airport Cedar Rapids, IA(CID).
- The shuttle will run between the airport and registration site at the Iowa State Center.
- Shuttles will be scheduled to accommodate Odyssey group arrivals and are not available at regular intervals or to other destinations.
- Delayed flights will be accommodated as quickly as possible.
- Service is available Monday, May 21st through Sunday, May 27th.
You are encouraged to ship early to have props arrive by the May 18 deadline.
Preparing to Ship Your Props:
Pack props in cases, crates or cartons. All cartons that are shipped must fit through a standard doorway of 32” wide x 72” tall and must be less than 8’ long.
- Fill out the enclosed shipping label completely and attach the label securely to EACH case or carton. Copy the shipping label as necessary.
- DO NOT PUT PROPS MADE FOR MORE THAN ONE PROBLEM IN THE SAME CASE OR CARTON.
- If you are shipping more than one piece, mark each piece “Box 1 of 2, Box 2 of 2” and so on, clearly labeled with the enclosed shipping label affixed. Complete all information on the label.
- All materials shipped must be clearly marked with the team’s membership name and number, address, daytime phone number, problem name, division and shipped to the address provided on the shipping label. Props will be accepted beginning May 1, 2018.
Bring tools to open and reassemble your props. Iowa State University is unable to supply tools.
Tracking Your Props:
After May 2, you can check ISU’s Central Receiving Web Site to see if your shipment has been received. When props arrive, cartons will be grouped according to problem and delivered to a storage area near the competition site. Any oversize carton (larger than 32” wide x 72” tall x 8’ long) received will be kept at the central receiving location and teams will be responsible for moving it to the competition site.
Bringing your props with you? Check WF FAQ for more prop information!