Virtual Clarifications concern submitting video, not questions about solving the problem. Be sure to read the General Clarifications for the 2019-20 year. If you have a submission question that includes specifics from your solution, log-in with your membership number and submit a Virtual WF Clarification. This includes: filming a particular aspect, team members being in different places in regards to your specific presentation, submitting paperwork, and the like.
Clarifications about submission will be open April 1 – May 15. As things evolve, and we know to expect the unexpected, we may have to adapt the rules or deadlines moving forward. Any change will be posted here as a General Virtual WF Clarification, so please continue to check back!
Virtual WF General Clarifications Will Be Posted Below
- April 3, 2020 – Rule #3: Cameras do not need to be fixed to a tripod to be considered stationary. Hand-held recordings that include incidental motion and do not move significantly around the performance will be acceptable.
- April 3, 2020 – Long Term Problem performances may be in the team’s native language. If this language is not English, teams should submit a written script of their performance during registration, preferably in English but scripts will also be accepted in the team’s native language.
- April 14, 2020 – Rule #8: The option for a second video of the team’s performance has been removed from Problems 3, 4, and 5. Problems 1 and 2 will retain the option due to problem-specific requirements regarding timing of events within the team’s performance. There will be no additional fee for the second performance video.
- April 21, 2020 – Rule #4 – Altered videos:The use of virtual backgrounds is not allowed with one exception: if the team creates a physical background it may be converted into a virtual background shared by other team members. However, one team member must use the original background during the performance.
- April 21, 2020 – Rule #6 – Start of performance time: When teams are submitting previously recorded performances, “Team Begin” is not required to be included in the recording, provided that it is clear to judges when the team’s performance has begun.
- April 21, 2020 – Rule #6 – Setup: In cases of remote performance recording where the team is separated, teams may begin their performances with sets, props, costumes, etc. in place to allow performances to fit within the required time limit.
- April 21, 2020 – Rule #8 – The explanation: Non team members may appear in the explanation portion of the team’s video but the team members should be providing the additional explanation regarding their solution.
- April 21, 2020 – All teams are encouraged, but not required, to submit a performance script.
- April 21, 2020 – Non team members may act as stagehands in supporting the team’s performance. They may not add to the solution in any other way.
- April 21, 2020 – The explanation portion of the team’s video should focus on aspects of the solution that are shown in the team’s submitted performance recording. If teams wish to include changes or improvements made after regional competition, that do not appear in a previous recording, the team must create a new performance video to have those changed aspects scored.
- May 6, 2020 – Teams may recreate the required forms in the format that is easiest for the team to submit, provided they use the same language and items are in the same order. The team’s forms must be a recognizable replica of the online forms provided by Odyssey of the Mind.
- May 11, 2020 – Links submitted to the team’s registration form must be set as publicly accessible, within their file sharing service’s privacy settings. This is required to enable judges to access and view the team’s Virtual World Finals performance and related materials.
Problem 1 – Longshot Solution
- April 14, 2020 – Because teams may be performing remotely, and this problem requires specific timing of events, family members may assist in releasing the vehicles without being considered Outside Assistance. They may not add to the solution in any other way
Problem 2 – Net Working
- April 14, 2020 – Because teams may be performing remotely, and this problem requires specific timing of events, family members may assist in releasing the information without being considered Outside Assistance. They may not add to the solution in any other way.
Problem 3 – Classics…The Effective Detective
- April 3, 2020 – Teams will be allowed to choose to be scored either for the problem requirement to store their solution in containers (B13) OR selecting one item in the solution to be used up to three different ways. The item and the number of ways it will be used must be explained before time begins in your video. Scoring would be as follows:Using one item in multiple ways – 0, 10, or 20 points.
Item is used one way= 0 points.
Item is used two different ways= 10 points.
Item is used three different ways= 20 points.The team must list their choice on the Team List Form.
Problem 4 – Balsa Limbo
- April 3, 2020 – Teams may ship their structures to CCI in any container the team wishes. Teams may include preferred handling instructions for CCI staff, who will follow those instructions as closely as possible.