East Lansing and Michigan State University look forward to hosting us for the Odyssey of the Mind 2019 World Finals! Read the following for helpful information for getting your team and your props to campus. The World Finals FAQ also has answers to many questions about the campus.
Known internationally as a major U.S. public university with global reach, Michigan State University has been advancing knowledge and transforming lives through innovative teaching, research, and outreach for over 150 years. MSU is a member of the Association of American Universities, the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges, and the Big Ten athletic conference.
| Campus Map | Directions To Registration | Parking and MSU Transportation l
East Lansing, Michigan
East Lansing has an unbeatable combination of historic small-town atmosphere and cosmopolitan sophistication. Tree-lined avenues, a variety of beautiful homes, and its proximity to a number of shopping areas give East Lansing its small-town ambience. The presence of one of the nation’s largest centers of learning, Michigan State University, and the nearby state capital in Lansing make the citizens of East Lansing as diverse as the world is large.
| Greater Lansing Convention & Visitors Bureau | Hotels |
Detroit Metro Airport:
- Airport greeting service and bus transportation between Detroit Metro (DTW) and Michigan State University will be available.
- The round trip cost from Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) to East Lansing/MSU will be $50.00 or one way ticket for $30.00.
- A Michigan Flyer info table will be available at both terminals upon your arrival at DTW and on-campus Saturday at the International Center. Departure/pickup locations are determined by the residence hall staff. Check with the Michigan Flyer info table on Saturday for return information.
- Registration for shuttle to and from campus opens March 18th and must be made by May 1st, 2019. (Teams- please do not use our standard Michigan Flyer reservation pages for booking World Finals transportation. Judges should use ) Reservations made after May 1st will be confirmed based on availability.
- WF Officials should buy Michigan Flyer tickets through “Book a Trip” on our website, and NOT though the special link for Odyssey participants. Michigan Flyer will transport you from the airport to East Lansing’s Marriott at University Place, where Odyssey registration for judges will be held. After registration, judges will be assigned to either the Marriott or the Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center. Judges staying at Kellogg will be directed to a campus shuttle that will take them there.On Sunday, May 26, Indian Trails will offer a shuttle for judges that runs from the Kellogg Hotel to the Marriott every 20 minutes from 2:20 a.m. to 11:40 a.m. Please plan your shuttle ride to coordinate with your departure time for Michigan Flyer, which will leave from the Marriott and proceed to Detroit Metro Airport.
You are encouraged to ship early to have props arrive by Wednesday, May 15.
Preparing to Ship Your Props:
Pack props in cartons. All cartons must fit through a standard doorway and measure no more than 48″ x 48″ x 75″. Large cartons must be constructed to allow for forklift use. Any oversized crate received will be held at central receiving and the team will be responsible for delivery to the competition site.
- Fill out the shipping label completely and attach the label securely to EACH carton
- EACH carton shipped must be clearly marked and labeled with the official shipping label provided in this packet whether they are shipped by you or a third party.
- When shipping multiple cartons, mark each piece (Box 1 of 4 and Box 2 of 4 etc…)
- Cartons require membership name and number, address, mobile phone, e-mail, problem name and division, and must be shipped to the address provided on the shipping label.
- DO NOT PUT PROPS FOR MORE THAN ONE PROBLEM IN THE SAME CARTON/CRATE.
- Props will be accepted beginning May 1, 2019
Bring tools to open and reassemble your props. Michigan State University is unable to supply tools.
Tracking Your Props:
Check your carrier’s website to see if your shipment has been delivered to Michigan State University. Upon delivery to MSU, your prop will be held for delivery to the problem’s prop storage site between May 20-22.
You can also check MSU Logistics’ website to see if your shipment has been delivered to prop storage by using U-Track. To track your shipment, enter the carrier tracking number in the “Carrier’s Tracking Number” field and click “U-Track It!” If your shipment is in “trap” status, it has been received and is being held for delivery to the problem’s prop storage location. “Odyssey Delivered” status means it has been delivered to your problem’s prop storage site.
Props will be grouped according to problem and delivered to a storage area near the competition site between May 19 – May 23.